FYI for anyone who may be interested.
- Make sure you are getting enough Vitamin D
- Grab some Montmorency Cherry Juice
- Chia is more than just a pet
- be vital for bone health and osteoporosis
- play a major role in breast and bowel cancer prevention
- be important for immune function and particularly helpful in the winter when there is more flu around
- help with other conditions as diverse as diabetes, heart disease, joint pains and arthritis, dementia, autoimmune diseases, fertility, autism, and allergies
- help with SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder).
Hope for Healing
Posted: 25 Jan 2012 05:31 PM PST
Some reasons to LOVE chia seeds
(more than growing a chia a pet, of course!)
-Chia seeds are an amazing source of Omega-3 fats. Great for your brain, organs and heart. Chia is a great way to ingest and digest these amazing fats. If you are sick of swallowing a pill or oil to get your Omega’s- then try some chia seeds instead.
-Chia seeds have a much higher amounts of antioxidants compared to the flaxseed. Chia and flax seeds are many times said to be interchangeable in recipes (which is mostly true for texture) but chia seems to beat out flax in some pretty amazing health benefits.
-Chia seeds have 5 grams of protein per serving size (1 ounce or 3 Tablespoons) and 12 grams of dietary fiber-whoa- starting your day with a serving of this powerful seed will keep you going strong without question.
-Chia seeds do not need to be refrigerated and can last a lot longer than other seeds, so there is little worry about them becoming rancid over time. Extra bonus for stock-up purposes.
-Chia seed gel is an amazing egg-substitute. Great for vegan baking with an added punch of goodness too. I have been enjoying adding it to almost any baking recipe- just because
-Chia seeds contain phosphorus, magnesium, manganese, copper, iron, niacin and zinc. Perfect for keeping your immunities high along with strengthening your cells and organs.
1. Grind 1 cup of chia seeds in a magic bullet, Vitamix, or smaller food processor (using a blade you would normally use to grind other seeds or whole grains).
2. Pour the chia seed meal into a quart-sized mason jar that you have a secure top for.
3. Fill the rest of the quart jar with pure water (about 2 cups).
4. Shake up the jar and let sit in the fridge ready for use.
My wake-up milkshake as of late using ‘chia-gel’ for extra creamy goodness:
the 4-ingredient milkshake recipe
1 cup of frozen berries
1 cup of hemp or coconut milk, or other favorite non-dairy milk
1/2 cup of chia-gel*
10-12 drops of alcohol-free liquid stevia (I use NuNatural‘s)
I blend all of the above ingredients in my magic bullet and you have to shake it or stir it a few times to get things moving- but I like it thick- so I am willing to make it work. I blend for a minute or so and viola my morning milkshake is ready to consume. Because I like to use hemp milk there is another dose of Omega’s and the protein is around 10 grams, fiber around 16 grams and calories around 320. Not bad. And, it is fulfilling and energizing for 4-5 hours for sure- another bonus.
Yes, you could add some more hemp seeds for more protein and goodness and you could add some greens and more fruit if you wanted, but I personally have found myself addicted to this simple combo. Plus, you do not have to add a banana to get a thick and creamy or sweet mix. The stevia can be omitted of course, but I love how it just sweetens the tart berries perfectly. I can down this milkshake in minutes. So good. I’ll save my greens for lunch
Delicious creamy chia berry goodness gone in seconds. Try the gel in your next shake and I bet you will notice the difference. Or don’t but you might want to consider adding some chia to your life this year in some way. I have been buying my chia seeds from Costco for a very fair price (32 ounces for $6.79). Or I have bought chia seeds in larger quantities from Vitacost as well. If you are interested in getting an extra 10 dollars off your next purchase of chia seeds check out this link and order them through Vitacost with the $10 discount (disclaimer: You have to be a BRAND NEW customer to receive the 10 dollar free coupon).